Feedback, compliments and complaints
Your feedback is important to us. The department places a high value on feedback from its clients and the public generally.
- encourages feedback about how we carry out our business
- takes a client-focused approach to how we deal with complaints about our services
- accepts complaints about our services verbally or in writing
- uses information from complaints about our services to improve our business processes.
How to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints about the department
The department offers various channels to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints on the department's products, services, policies or actions.
- Complete and submit our online form
- Write to the department:
Compliments, feedback or complaints
Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs
PO Box 15009
City East Qld 4002
- Phone or fax the department your compliments, feedback or complaints via our contact us details.
If you need assistance to lodge compliments, feedback or complaints, there are services available:
Need a interpreter? Contact us on 13 QGOV (13 74 68) and ask for an interpreter in your preferred language.
For people who are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment:
- National Relay Service – for people with hearing or vision impairments.
Timeframes for complaints
All complaints will be acknowledged within two working days of receipt. Customer complaints will generally be responded to within fifteen working days, with a response to urgent matters generally provided within five working days.
Human rights complaints
From 1 January 2020, you can make a complaint if you believe your human rights have been breached by the department. Complaints can only be made for breaches that occur after 1 January 2020.
If you have not received a response within 45 business days, or believe the response is inadequate, you can then lodge a complaint with the Queensland Human Rights Commission for independent resolution.
If you are not happy with the outcome of your customer complaint, you can request an internal review. Your request should be in writing if possible and be lodged within 28 days of you receiving the decision about your complaint. The internal review will be conducted by an officer at an equivalent level or more senior to the original decision-maker who has had no involvement with your complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you can lodge a complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman.
In 2019-2020, the department received 3 customer complaints, with:
- 2 resulting in further action and 1 resulting in no further action
- 100% of complaints were responded to within the service standard of 15 working days.
- Complaints management policy (PDF, 232 KB)
- Human rights complaints procedure (PDF, 224 KB)
- Complaints about the Director-General procedure (PDF, 181KB)
- Customer complaints procedure (PDF, 239 KB)
- Privacy complaint procedure (PDF, 183 KB)
Public Interest Disclosures
View information relating to Public Interest Disclosures (PIDs). Please note the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning administers PIDs under a Service Level Agreement with the Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs.
Complaints about local governments (councils)
Follow these links if your feedback, compliment or complaint relates to:
Last updated: 22 Oct 2021